RSV, how to protect your little ones #RSVAwareness

“I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting #MC for MedImmune. I received a promotional item as a thank you for participating.”

I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was a first time mom of a little baby boy, he was going to be three months in four days. He woke every two seconds having a hard time breathing. I tried to suck his nose out with the nose sucky thing (that what we call that blue nose ball thing) with nothing coming out. I was up all night with him that night making sure that he could breath. The next morning he started to have a small cough. I was so lost as what to do and what was wrong with him. Part of me did not want to take him to the hospital because he had already spent a week (the first week he was born) in there. I also felt like there where going to blow me off.

When Aiden was born

But after one more night of getting no sleep I had to do something. So I took him to the ER. Needless to say we did get blown off, they did not do an X-ray or even listen to his lungs! I was so mad, they told I was a new mom and just over worried about him! So after yet another night of him not being able to breath well I took him to a different ER. There they did the X-ray and the RSV swab test. Needless to say the ER Dr. came and told me not only did he have RSV but also bad bronchitis. They then told me if I would have brought Aiden to them before the other guys they would have emitted Aiden because he was under three months. I was SO mad at that other ER for not even checking him! Just because your a first time mom don't be afraid to get a second or third option! With World Premature Day on November 17th it is important to know how to prevent RSV.

The week we brought him home

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a common seasonal virus, contracted by nearly all children by the age of two, and typically causes mild to moderate cold-like symptom. And because premature babies lungs are underdeveloped they can be at a stronger risk.

Getting his breathing treatment because of RSV/bronchitis 

Think your baby has RSV? Here is what to look for:

  • Persistent coughing or wheezing
  • Bluish color around the mouth or fingernails
  • Rapid, difficult, or gasping breaths
  • Fever [especially if it is over 100.4°F (rectal) in infants under 3 months of age]

So what can you do to help protect your baby from RSV? Keep in mind that there is no treatment for RSV and it is VERY contagious! (I learned that the hard way) So if you child has had or does have RSV make sure you let other know before bring your child to people house. And if they have a new born just plane old don't bring your sick kid over!
But here is what you can do to help protect your child:

  • Always wash your hands
  • Keep toys, blankets sheets etc clean
  • Avoid other with RSV
  • Never let anyone smoke around your baby

If your think your child has RSV or is sick at all make sure you talk to your pediatrician. If you would like more info on RSV visit www.RSVprotection.com you can also tweet about it using hash tag #RSVawareness when tweeting.

Did you know:
RSV occurs in epidemics each year, typically from November through March.
RSV disease is the leading cause of hospitalization for babies during their first year of life in the United States, with approximately 125,000 hospitalizations and up to 400 infant deaths each year


“I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting #MC for MedImmune. I received a promotional item as a thank you for participating.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tommee Tippee giveaway

Banana Brush review and giveaway 6/30

Milkin' Cookies reviews & giveaway *CLOSED*